After a strenuous workout, it’s important to give the body sufficient time to recover in preparation for the next exercise routine. Rest and recovery play a central role in an effective fitness routine, and when the body is given enough time and resources to recover, it has the chance to naturally replenish lost energy, repair torn muscles and increase overall strength and endurance.
As a gym owner or key stakeholder of a fitness club, it’s essential to consider member wellness as a key pillar of your operation. This not only builds trust in your brand, but it also helps prevent your members from experiencing injuries, ensure they’re replenishing the nutrients they’ve lost during workouts, and promote an environment of healthy fitness and recovery.
There are many different recovery techniques out there, and what works and what does not work is all a matter of what your members need. Many may require unique rituals that are specific to their bodies or workout routines, while others may benefit from general recovery tools.
Here are three important post-workout tools/offerings that we believe fitness clubs can and should offer their members to promote healthy post-workout recovery tactics as well as all-around wellness.
1. A Dedicated “Stretch Station” to Prevent Muscle Soreness and Improve Range of Motion
When choosing the ideal gym, many exercise fanatics are usually more concerned about the best and latest commercial fitness equipment. However, a dedicated stretching area is an equally important factor to consider before subscribing to a gym membership.
Why? Because if encouraged and made easily available, proper stretching can provide many benefits that can help both your members and your gym stay active. These can include:
- Improved physical performance
- Decreased risk of injuries and muscle tears
- Improved range of motion and flexibility
- Enhanced ability for muscles to work most effectively
- Better blood flow and circulation
Many gym-goers understand the importance of stretching in post-workout recovery, and offering one that’s readily available after their session is a great way to promote overall wellness.
2. In-Store Juice Bar for Vitamin Restoration and Hydration
When it comes to electrolytes, nutrients and essential water in the body, intense workout regimes often take their toll on it all. While exercising, we lose many of these elements through sweat and heavy breathing. A lot of the body’s natural fuel is burned down to produce energy.
An easy way to aid the body in post-workout recovery is by replenishing those lost nutrients via healthy, vitamin-rich drinks. The American College of Sports Medicine advises drinking 16 to 24 ounces of fluid for every pound lost during exercise. In-store juice bars are a great way to provide fluids and nutrients all in one spot.
There are many different varieties of drinks that can help in post-workout recovery, and some that may be a great option to use in recipes for your in-store juice bar:
- Research has established that drinking tart cherry juice after an exercise routine may help reduce inflammation, repair muscle damage and fight muscle soreness from strenuous exercise.
- Coconut water is also very nutritious, filled with antioxidants and electrolytes. Studies show that coconut water has up to five times more potassium than your typical sports drink.
- Fresh orange juice is another great source of vitamins. The natural sugars in the fruit are rich in calcium and potassium. Unlike other sports drinks, orange juice has vitamin C, which is good for healing and boosting immunity.
While the key is to stay hydrated, fresh juices, smoothies and other vitamin-rich options are great for replenishing lost nutrients after a hard workout.
3. HydroMassage Lounges and Beds
Research has proven that massage can help to reduce pain and activate muscle recovery. With hands-free water massage solutions like HydroMassage, members can have the benefits of traditional massage while also enjoying privacy, accuracy and the ability to completely relax.
By adding a HydroMassage Lounge or Bed to your fitness center, members can enjoy:
- Temporary relief of minor aches and pains. HydroMassage feels great on the sore, tired muscles after a workout, offering temporary relief to help you rejuvenate and recover faster.
- Reduced levels of stress and anxiety. Even after a great workout — where tension is released and muscles are worked — there are still everyday problems that can contribute to built-up anxiety and stress. HydroMassage is a great resource for relaxing the muscles and calming nerves, helping soothe both the mind and body.
- Muscle soreness and tension relief. While working out, muscle tissue is constantly being torn, which can cause soreness throughout the body. HydroMassage can help relieve built-up tension and ease soreness resulting from recent exercise.
- Increased circulation in local areas where massaged. The pressurized water used in HydroMassage Lounges and Beds allows for targeted massage for sore and tender muscles, which helps increase blood circulation in these local areas, quicken the recovery process and offset inflammation.
- An overall feeling of well-being through deep relaxation. HydroMassage can help members relax from head to toe. With each session, they can enjoy deeper and more satisfying massages, targeting specific areas in need.
After long hours of lifting weights, doing intense cardio or taking part in endurance workouts, the body needs to repair torn and worn-out tissues and regain nutrients lost to prevent inflammation and alleviate the effects of muscle soreness.
With the recent rise in high-intensity workouts and a strong emphasis on recovery exercises as part of the training routine, it is important, now more than ever, to provide members with the right set of tools for post-workout recovery. Installing a juice bar, setting aside a stretching area in the gym and investing in HydroMassage are some great ways to demonstrate the value your fitness center places on member wellness and can help boost your membership rates throughout the year.
Get Started With HydroMassage
HydroMassage is one of the most trusted brands in wellness-focused solutions on the market. If you’re looking for an innovative way to engage members and promote wellness at your gym (while also providing a high return on investment), investing in HydroMassage is key to getting you there.
Get in contact with experts from HydroMassage today to learn more about how to incorporate this essential post-recovery workout tool into your gym’s offerings.